Ok, I know this is a lot that I am sharing here, but it is a great discussion on poetry, and include some amazing poems. It is definitely worth taking the time to read it!
Thank you, Mairi, for taking the time to write and organize this!
“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.”
Several years ago, I went to ‘Breakfast With Poets and Ideas,’ an event at Melbourne University. A selection of guest poets discussed why they wrote poetry and who or what motivated them.
They discussed the question: Can poets change the times they live in?
- Is it okay to philosophise with your pen?
- Can writing be political?
- Should it be political?
- Do poets simply share what they see or think at a particular time?
- Are poets revealing their feelings, arousing emotions and trying to change attitudes?
What is the purpose of poetry?
- Is it primarily a mental exercise, a playing with words to amuse self and the reader?
- Should teaching or preaching be secondary – perhaps non-existent?
- Must there be a message -what of the inner child?
This term in class we’ve been…
View original post 3,076 more words